Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Finger Joint Pitch

"Robatoy" wrote in message

r----- who will be thinking about this all day and probably testing
later this week.

LOL..

In an end-end tapered finger joint, I can see where many long skinny
fingers would make a better joint.

Yeah, you really do not see finger joints on anything but straight in line
unions.

My reference was more a box joint at 90 degrees. Can the 'fingers' be
too thin?

Again, I don't think so, while they are thinner and therefore weaker you
have more of them. If the box joint finger is made 1/4 the size you have
4 times as many. Again, the mass is still there. IMHO ;~) Thinner ones
would spread the load more and perhaps be stronger.

In my mind, such as it is, if taken to the extreme, one could reduce the
thickness of the finger in a box joint, to the point where you might as
well use a butt-joint.
Do I need more coffee?

I need coffee.