Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Finger Joint Pitch

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

The number really does not matter. Pick a number and go with it. Keep
in
mind that the more fingers that you have the stronger the joint will be.

I read somewhere that for maximum strength, the fingers should not be
narrower than the thickness of the material used. Ever hear of that?
In an intuitive way, that sorta makes sense.

I am not sure I would agree as true finger joints, not box joints, are quite
thin and quite strong. Some of the framing lumber is made up with thin
finger joints.
Typically, regardless of the width of the finger you end up with the same
mass of wood with thin fingers as the wide fingers. The wide fingers have
less surface area with glue.

r----- who will be thinking about this all day and probably testing
later this week.