Posted to alt.energy.renewable,uk.d-i-y,uk.environment
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Waste disposal was Siting of panels for solar water heating

On 2007-01-04 09:55:06 +0000, John Beardmore said:

But at what environmental cost ?

The difference between something happening or not. If services were
available to sort and deal with recycling, as I've said I would be
willing to consider them, even at extra cost. When they are not, the
recyling won't happen.

OK, but this is your personal position. A lot of other people see the
value in recycling and are willing to make some minimum level of
personal sacrifice to organise things so that it's quick and easy to do.

That's fine then. They can have their personal choice provided that
they are willing to allow me to have mine.

The real question is then whether the recycling was worth doing in the
first place.

Well - we've done that one to death, but in general it seems likely
that it is.

I don't find the evidence at all compelling in a lot of cases. There
are just too many examples of stupid things being done just in order to
meet artificial targets or for political correctness. This is where
the environmentalists to the whole thing a disservice. There is far
more about positioning and marketing than there is about honest science.

You won't get a much higher standard of evidence than that unless you
want to dedicate your life to data collection so that you can do
rigorous LCA.

I'll let you do that since you claim to be qualified in that area.

If it is, and the customer is willing to pay as well, then there
should be no issue.

Assuming it is left to the consumer to choose, any more than it's left
to drivers to pick speed limits.

Ultimately, the consumer will always choose.....