Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Urz Bob Urz is offline

Default 87 Pontiac revisited (bit long, but detailed)

wrote:

Also, cats are not as expensive as they used to be for regular cars.
The one we put on was $36 brand new in the box.

A place like Midas probably buys by the truckload, so they might pay
say $25. If they charge you say $80 installed, they made $55 in about
20 minutes. As long as there were no other complications, you would've
been charged for them as well. The mechanic probably makes between $15
and $25 an hour. This should be billing at 3X that. It might be more in
this type of business because it can be high maintainence. Three X is
just a rule of thumb though, high cielings cost energy in the winter at
least, and mess with the bottom line.

Last cat I had put in a car was $100 at the local muffler shop, but
this was a couple of years ago. It seems there is a new manufacturer or
something out there.

JURB

You would be hard pressed to get a muffler for that much money ($25).
And a cat is full of rare metals (at least a real cat does)

You might find some generic cats (usually Pre OBD2) after market for
a more reasonable price. But they are generic with no ends (flanges)
welded on and no ports for O2 sensors.

Factory fit out of the box cats are usually in the hundreds of dollars

Bob