Posted to rec.woodworking
Bewildered Bewildered is offline

Default help needed matching cabinet stain to wall stain

wrote in message
ps.com...
I am attempting to match up a custom built curved oak wall of an island
to Kraftsmaid cabinets (wood = cherry). Cabinets are stained color
"Peppercorn". My contractor stained the custom built wall twice with
Dark Walnut (darkest stain we could find) and then put the poly on.
It's still a bit lighter than the cabinet finish.

How do you think I could get it darker? Should I paint it?

http://www.kraftmaid.com/doorsfinish...oorstyleid=135
To see the cabinet stain color, click on this link and select Finish
"Peppercorn"

I matched a job like that by using a brown dye and a dark mahogany stain.
Took a hell of alot of trial and error to get it right, but I matched it
perfectly. That was your contractor's screw up; he just did it and it was
wrong. Oops! I hope he was at least cheap.

Assuming you don't want to strip it, see if they have a Minwax polyshades
that will work. I used a dark walnut once and got oak pulls to match a
walnut cabinet pretty good. (bought the can at a garage sale for a dime!)