Posted to alt.home.repair
MB MB is offline

Default dead outlets

Thanks,

I dont think they are running off the dimmer switch as they lights work
fine, I think its getting its juicefor the outlets(or lack there of)
from that dimmer switch there. ANy suggestions?

Bob F wrote:
"MB" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have 4 dead outlets all on the same wall 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs

They are all connected to each other. They seem to be getting power
from a dimmer switch next to the first outlet in the chain of 4. I
have removed that outlet and dimmer and found that the dimmer is
getting power from a GFI outlet in the bathroom directly behind it.
Dimmer/lights works fine, its just the outlets are getting no power.

I shut the power off and did a continuity test of 1 of the white wires
in the dimmer to 1 of the white wires in the first dead outlet and I
get continuity, but the back wires in that smae wire do not get
continuity, could that be the problem?

ANy suggestions on troubleshooting as I have limited knowledge. I
would think that the black wire is broke somewhere in the wall and is
causing the issue?

The problem is probably in one of the boxes, not the wall.
Check all connections for continuity.
4 outlets running off a dimmer sounds dangerous, as many
things you might plug in do not like dimmers.

Bob