Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Ungrounded GFCI with ground jumpered to neutral

Don Fearn wrote:
I think it was Bud-- who stated:

Mike Dobony wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

So, just to follow up, I talked to the city electrical inspector.

She confirmed that connecting the neutral and ground pins of a GFCI was
not code compliant (as expected). But she said that it should not
create a safety issue, and since retrofitting GFCI outlets doesn't
require a permit and code check, she didn't see any reason to do
anything about it.

-- Dave

Without a separate ground the GFCI will NOT function properly and so it IS a
safety hazard. You have a lousy inspector.

Without a ground a GFCI WILL function. They work fine on wiring without
a ground and are permitted by the NEC as replacements for ungrounded
outlets (with a "No equipment ground" label).

I think a lot of folks got this bit of nonsense about GFCIs not
working without a ground from the TV show CSI. On an early episode,
the plot revolved around someone removing the ground pin from a
portable GFCI so that a worker was electrocuted when he thought he was
protected. I remember yelling "BO-O-O-GUS" at the TV when I saw that,
and I've only watched CSI a few times since. (My wife is a fan, so I
watch it with her sometimes, keeping my comments to myself.)

I think that was an episode of "Monk", unless they are stealing each
other's bad ideas.

Bob