Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Contractor question - workman's compensation

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
I've made arrangements to have my water main replaced by a licensed
plumbing contractor in CA. I just met him last night and the work isn't
going to start for a week, so I can back out of this if I call him today
or tomorrow easily enough. I have another decent bid and I could go with
them (a pretty large company).

I just looked up his license and he's a sole owner and it says "This
license is exempt from having workers compensation insurance; they
certified that they have no employees at this time."

He said he'd try to hire a tough competent guy to help with the
trenching. What happens if that guy is hurt on the job? Am I going to be
liable?

TIA for information.

Dan

I read all the post to date.

To answer your question. Maybe.

If he hires another licensed insured contractor and they both waive
worker-comp rights in the interest to freely contract for work under the
uniform commercial code. Then where I am your butt would be covered. In
the People Republic of CA, I don't have a clue.

By the same measurement, here, if he hired an unlicensed person without your
consent or knowledge you would be covered.

Since you do not have a homeowner's policy to fall back on, I suggest you
proceed with extreme caution and CYA.

Colbyt