Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Contractor question - workman's compensation

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
I've made arrangements to have my water main replaced by a licensed
plumbing contractor in CA. I just met him last night and the work isn't
going to start for a week, so I can back out of this if I call him today
or tomorrow easily enough. I have another decent bid and I could go with
them (a pretty large company).

I just looked up his license and he's a sole owner and it says "This
license is exempt from having workers compensation insurance; they
certified that they have no employees at this time."

He said he'd try to hire a tough competent guy to help with the
trenching. What happens if that guy is hurt on the job? Am I going to be
liable?

TIA for information.

Dan

Good grief, Dan! I hate the words "should" and "probably" and the likes.

With all the frivolous litigations going on, your state being one of the
leaders, (no offense), why would you want to even mess with someone you have
any doubts about?

To save some money perhaps?

Imagine the worst thing that can happen. Someone gets killed. You think
ANYONE is going to give you a walk? I doubt it.

Take everything you own. Pile it in the house. Spread five gallons of gas
on it. If there is an accident, that's what's gonna happen to all your
stuff.

Insist that your CONTRACTOR'S INSURANCE CARRIER send DIRECTLY TO YOU a copy
of their current in force policy. Don't accept it from your contractor, as
they can be and are faked easily.

This is a big deal. Do it right. Your ass is the only one on the line you
should be concerned about.

Steve