Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Surfaces for tiling...

stevelup wrote:

Hi

I'm in the process of refitting my bathroom and am seeking some tiling
advice.

Three of the walls have new unskimmed plasterboard, and the fourth wall
is made of ply (it conceals pipework and a cistern for the wall hung
WC).

Is it OK to tile directly onto these surfaces? If so, what preparation
is recommended. Finally, could someone suggest the best tile adhesive
to use?

Many thanks,

Steve

You can tile direct if you dont mind it all falling apart after 15
years, and having to redo it. If you want it to last better one thing
you need is a waterproof membrane, as tiles really cant be counted on
to be waterproof, and both ply and PB are vulnerable to water. The
othing thing is the right adhesive. The BAL site has guides on these
things.

NT