Portly Stout

Default Tractor vs. Bobcat

Buy a real loader backhoe like a case 580 or cat 417

spend a little more and get a newer machine (i.e. I wouldn't recommend
anything older than a case 580D, early 80's)

the real construction equipment will take a beating, you'll kill the tractor
and bobcats are too small for any work other than squeezing in tight places
the hoe won't go

sell the backhoe when you are done and buy a 4wd tractor with a loader and
mower deck

I used mine for 5 years and sold it after for almost the same price.

"RogerN" wrote in message
k.net...

Thanks for the replies!

The farm tractor idea was in the line of the backhoe idea. Perhaps I can

go
with a backhoe for the clearing & leveling and maybe something like a Ford
8N or similar for mowing and gardening. Sometimes I see some of the older
Ford backhoes going pretty reasonable ($5k or less), there's a couple of
Case 580's advertised now around here in the $8500 range. There's also a
Bobcat for $2800 and another skid steer for $3200 in the same paper.

Thanks again!