Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Contractor question - workman's compensation

That being the case, I would avoid anyone without the full compliment of
insurances

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 15:43:56 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

:Essentially they are both covered by your homeowners policy

Don't have one. I have fire insurance but because my house needs major
improvements my insurance broker refuses to write me a general
homeowner's policy.

Dan

:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: I've made arrangements to have my water main replaced by a licensed
: plumbing contractor in CA. I just met him last night and the work isn't
: going to start for a week, so I can back out of this if I call him
today
: or tomorrow easily enough. I have another decent bid and I could go
with
: them (a pretty large company).
:
: I just looked up his license and he's a sole owner and it says "This
: license is exempt from having workers compensation insurance; they
: certified that they have no employees at this time."
:
: He said he'd try to hire a tough competent guy to help with the
: trenching. What happens if that guy is hurt on the job? Am I going to
be
: liable?
:
: TIA for information.