Posted to alt.home.repair
JLagg JLagg is offline

Default replace microwave oven light?

Dan_Musicant wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 11:29:49 GMT, "Ed Chait"
wrote:

:My mom has a Whirlpool GMC275PD built-in microwave oven. This is one of
:double built-ins with a microwave on top and a conventional oven on the
:bottom.
:
:The light on the microwave recently burned out and she asked me to try to
:replace it. After looking at it, it seems as if the only way to replace the
:bulb is to remove the unit completely from the wall.
:
:Could this be the case with this model? I find it hard to believe that
:someone would design something like that, but in doing some Internet
:research on the issue, it seems as if several manufacturers designt them
:like that. Simply replacing the bulb requires an expensive service call.
:
:I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks.
:
:Ed Chait

Myself, the first thing I do when I change MW ovens is REMOVE the bulb.
I like to leave the door ajar much of the time and those lights are on
when the door is open, so I'd just as soon not have them in there
wasting juice. Plus, it doesn't make sense to watch the food cook -
EMF's and that sort of thing... also possible escaping MW radiation.
Besides, you can't see too well through the mesh in the doors, is my
experience. Maybe you can talk her into not missing the light. I hate
them.

Dan

Quick way to check for radiation lek is to use a flourescent bulb and
move it closely around the microwave. It will glow if there is any kind
of leak.