Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default New drainage laterals, bad water main pipe discovered

On 29 Dec 2006 04:22:25 -0800, "John Ross" wrote:

:And did the crewman tell you that what he proposes is illegal in
:California? Any work of this sort that is over $500 REQUIRES a licensed
:contractor. So you have a guy who is doing the work illegally, not
:insured, not bonded, certainly won't handle the permit if required, and
:you will not get the one year labor guarantee that is required for
:contractors in Calif. to give. OH yeah, for good measure, he is also
:stealing work from his boss!
:
:Please see www.cslb.ca.gov and learn how everything you have done in
:hiring a contravor is wrong! I get a funny feeling this company is
laying games with you. The fact that these workers seem to have a
:racket going offering to steal work from their boss and haven't been
:caught and fired yet, makes me suspicious the company is breaking this
:stuff on purpose and having these guys offer the low price as a con
:game.
:
:--
:John

I like the workers and don't think I was being scammed. Yes, I was being
hustled. But they don't seem at all dishonest. In any case I don't feel
comfortable in this situation. I like the company as well and must say
they've treated me well. They did a camera inspection of my sewer
laterals and didn't charge me. They underbid the two other companies by
over 40%. They work they've done so far seems adequate (the open pits
are awaiting inspection). Will see how they deal with the cleanouts. On
top of all this, they cleared a tough and persistent tub drain that's
vexed me for months and for free!

I have another bid from a good small contractor and it's a bit under the
company's to fix my water main, and I'm leaning to letting him do the
work. I don't believe anybody busted my main on purpose. In truth I'm
not happy with any decision. All these guys want the job. It's a small
job and everybody tells me I'm better off sticking with a licensed
contractor, so that's what I figure I'll do. Meantime, I've got water by
virtue of friendly nextdoor neighbors who let me hook up a hose to their
house. Should have my service back up by the end of next week.

Dan