Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Dimensional lumber at HD

Jack wrote:
Went to a few HD's and Lowes in my area to get a dozen 2x4 studs for a
project. After going through the piles for 15 minutes at each place to find
straight lumber, I gave up. Most of the stuff was twisted. (Bowed studs I
could have used in a pinch).
.
Have you all had similar experiences? Do you have better results at a
lumber yard even though its usually alot more expensive?

At the HD there is not a lot of supervision at the lumber pile. They
just pull them down a pallet at the time and folk sort through them
until someone complains that only crap is left.

If you grab an HD employee and tell them you can't use the boards
that are out and could they please pull down another pallet. If like
you say all the boards are bad then they will be glad to pull down some
new ones because, that is the only way they know to do it is if someone
complains.

If they won't then take your business elsewhere. HD's prices are often
beat by local yards and the service is for sure. no one should ask you
to buy boards you can't use. Great suggestion was metal studs though I
am used to wood myself.