Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Attic Ladder lets warm air out, cold air in

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 09:01:01 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:
Recently the hinge on my attic ladder broke and my friend welded a
reinforcement strip of metal to the hinge to prevent a repeat. The
original manufacturer's design must have been a little off because the
hinge had been bending over a long period of time.

Unfortunalely without holding it in place with an unused closet pole,
the door now hangs down about a half inch, allowing a considrable
amount of cold air into the room from the attic. I now half to close
the door to that room or let my heater attempt to "catch-up".

What are my options to solve the problem. Perhaps some sort of
decorative "latch" attached to the frame to hold the attic door to the
ceiling. Has anyone else done this? What works best? I'd like a
solution that solves the problem and still allows it to look okay. I
used wood trim previously to frame out the opening and all is painted
white. Buying a whole new attic ladder seems overkill and
unneccessary as the ladder itself works nicely otherwise and doesn't
leak air (not noticable) if fully closed.

Rig a "screen door latch?" The kind that click shut under spring tension.

Beef up the springs - perhaps they're adjustable?

A counter-weight?

Bungie cords or a pair of long extension springs, screwed to
the first section of ladder and the roof. Or big-ass
magnets and a metal plate. How much force is needed to
keep the thing in the fully closed position?