Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default High vottage too high? ;)

mm wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 03:31:24 GMT, James Sweet
wrote:

Figure out exactly where the crack is that the spark is coming from and
caulk over that. If all else fails, replace the flyback but usually you
can fix arcing problems like that.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear, if I was the only person doing
things this way.

Believe me, I looked each time, where the spark was at first and each
time it moved, and I couldn't see either a crack or a pinpoint hole or
even a mark. That's why I started to think the high voltage was
higher than normal.

(A couple of the places where sparks started or ended were at a
boundary of some sort, like the bottom or where the metal core met the
rubber cover. But in the other 4 cases, I could find no crack. The
spark moved every time!)

To Charlie and B:
Thanks for replying but it's really not worth buying a flyback. It's
not high def, it's going to be obsolete in 2 years, and I have lots of
tvs. This will just be a spare.

The goal of my question was to understand this, only secondarily to
fix the tv.

Its necessary to remove every trace of carbon before applying
insulator, otherwise it wont work. Practically, it will die quickly,
bin it.

NT