Posted to uk.d-i-y
Autolycus Autolycus is offline

Default RCD tripping - why?!

"TC" wrote in message
ups.com...
My house was rewired 3 or 4 years ago and I have never had a problem
with it but now the RCD is switching the electricity off as soon as I
reset it. I have found that the problem circuit is the one for the
kitchen sockets and have disconnected everything and switched off the
boiler that is also on the circuit but this does not help. Is there
anything obvious I can check or do I need to get an electrician in?

If you're absolutely sure there are no other outlets on that circuit,
such as a cooker hood, or the igniter for a hob, the only easy check you
could do would be to take all sockets off the wall far enough to check
whether anything has come adrift behind one.

I had this problem in my garage, and discovered that a mouse had
explored a surface-mounted socket through an unused cable entry
knock-out. It tripped the rcd at the time, I now realise, but I was
able to immediately reset the trip. The mouse became unwell, and after a
couple of weeks became so unwell that the rcd tripped again and wouldn't
reset. I thought it was just a mass of cobwebs when I poked my finger
behind the socket, but soon realised cobwebs tend to be rather drier.
There are very few people on whom I would wish this experience (well,
not all that many), so I hope your kitchen problem is less unpleasant.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***