Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Surfaces for tiling...

stevelup wrote:
Hi

I'm in the process of refitting my bathroom and am seeking some tiling
advice.

Three of the walls have new unskimmed plasterboard, and the fourth
wall is made of ply (it conceals pipework and a cistern for the wall
hung WC).

On the PB walls, just tile over them, PB is the best surface for tiling
onto...WRT you plywood, if it were mine, I would screw pb to this also,
although many people just tile directly onto wood, I find it can
shrink/expand, ever so slightly over the years and the hardened adhesive
does not, meaning that the tiles and adhesive are not bonded to the
timber...the only time I have ever found tiles actually stuck to timber is
when silicone has been used as adhesive, for small boxed in pieces here and
there, obvously not full walls.

Is it OK to tile directly onto these surfaces? If so, what preparation
is recommended. Finally, could someone suggest the best tile adhesive
to use?

Any, they're virtually all the same