Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default Dimensional lumber at HD

Jack wrote:
Went to a few HD's and Lowes in my area to get a dozen 2x4 studs for a
project. After going through the piles for 15 minutes at each place
to find straight lumber, I gave up. Most of the stuff was twisted. (Bowed
studs I could have used in a pinch).
.
Have you all had similar experiences? Do you have better results at a
lumber yard even though its usually alot more expensive?
Thanks.

The "trick" is to find out what their lumber delivery schedule is. As
people continue to pick over the lumber, the good pieces disappear the
quickest, leaving the culls. Usually when a new shipment arrives the culls
go to the next lower grade of wood and the picking starts again.
That said, Lowes around here isn't all that much cheaper, but they do by
far have a lot better lumber than the local yards, for some reason. I don't
think the local yard has a schedule to recieve wood, but I know Lowes does
here, at least. Oh, "here" is far upstate NY.

Pop`