Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
BillR BillR is offline

Default wood face plate

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
Do what I do. Imbed a nut in a wooden disk. Hold it with epoxy. You can
also make excellent vacuum chucks this way.

I have done this with 18mm MDF and laminated two layers together.

The first layer had a cut-out for the nut and was 3 to 4" diam. The second
layer was a larger disc from which I have made sanding discs, discs for
pushing bowl rims against using the tail stock as support when cleaning up
the bottom and also for fitting inside bowls with natural edges.

In all cases I have woodscrews holding the layers together as well as
gluing. I started using the screws after I had a disc delaminate which was
out of balance before I had the chance to true it up.

It did not delaminate at the glue joint but in the body of the sheet. Not as
exciting as scattering a bowl all over the workshop but not something you
want to put on your 'To do' list.

I also use a thick washer(s) on the drive spindle so that the nut does not
lock up against the land on the spindle but against the washers. I feel this
also helps to pull it square as there will always be some slack on the
threads.

MDF works for me within the limits above but I have not, nor would I, use it
where there is high or intermittent loading.

BillR