Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Default bearings: different grades & qualities

tg wrote:
"Tom" wrote in message ...
tg wrote:
"Clive George" wrote in message ...

"tg" wrote in message ...

Define "best". Longest lasting?

yeah, longest lasting

LOL Don't we all. However as you don't disclose the environment or
the usage of this generator and as these bearings are common as
dirt with a price to match I don't see why you're so concerned.

the generator is a wind turbine. The bearings are to a small degree exposed to the elements, or at least the moisture and
constantly varying temperatures of the outdoors. The turbine is high up and getting access to it means erecting a scaffold tower.
All of this is a lot of work simply to replace bearings, thus I want a grade that is going to last. I expect that 'any brand name'
might not serve the purpose, the cheap type might start rumbling or squealing after a couple a months, thus I want to get it right
when I have to re-install the turbine high in the sky. It's no joke assembling a scaffolding tower and then building up the turbine
at the top of it. Ideally I'd like to service the turbine only once a year, or maybe even once every 18 months if possible, and
fitting top knotch bearings might get me that.

Go for stainless steel, oil lubed and fully shielded.

If corrosion/dirt rather than actual wear is the problem.

There are various grades of steel used as well.