Mickey Feldman

Default A new low in cheap tools?

On 12 Feb 2004 22:41:08 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

such a network before I retired, and the only way to deal with these
from the unix side was to edit the raw directory to change the

Yup. I remember not all that long ago in the bad old days of DOS that
the GIS company I was working for received a floppy with some client
data on it. It was for a *COMmunity* project, so they had named it
"COM1", which DOS cheerfully allowed them to do. Of course, allowing
them to delete or rename COM1 was another matter. Had to go in with a
hex disk editor and change it to another name.

really sure whether CP/M was 8.3 or 6.3 in its filenames, as I have
never run it at home.

8.3. My system had 8" drives and I punched extra holes in the
envelopes of the single sided disks to be able to use them as double
sided - 'flippy' disks - common practice among the budget minded
hobbiests in those days. (A mere ~20 years ago)

Mickey