Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Seerialmom Seerialmom is offline

Default Household recycling

Don K wrote:
"James" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm at a point where I recycle storage space by throwing out junk that
I should have thrown out years ago. All the things I saved never got
matched to anything I needed. Easier to toss out garbage and just buy
something if the need arises.

But there are reasonable trade-offs that can be made.

Unless you only own the shirt on your back, everyone has allotted
some amount of space to storage. The trick is to optimize the
benefit/cost ratio of that space.

If the space is not costing you anything extra, if there are no
other competing uses for that space, and if using the space for
storage does not adversely affect aesthethics, then there is no
reason not to keep something that you could likely use again.

The other thing about recycling is that when you finally can actually
use something, you've forgotten where you stored it.

I stash things into those economy storage boxes from Staples. They
cost about $5 for 6 boxes with lids (13x13x16inch).
I number each box and record whatever I throw into it in a spreadsheet
either specifically or by category. The boxes are stackable, and
readily fit into a closet or along a wall in the cellar.

Again, you don't have to go nuts, but I've boxed clothes that
didn't fit, and then re-used them again when they did fit.

If I find I'm keeping too much stuff for the space I've allotted,
I'll purge some of it.

Don

Since this is also included on the frugal newsgroup; let's save money
and use those copy paper boxes with the lids. Anytime I see those near
our printers at work I snag them and they're just the right size for
storage. Not sure if places like Kinkos or Officemax (the printing
area) have those available for customers or not; I know my mom used to
snag the ones they had when she worked for a school district, too.

ITA about it being a judgement call. There's no point of storing huge
quantities of packing peanuts if you never ship anything but it would
make sense to store stuff you can reasonably expect to use (again...a
judgement call).