Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default reducing dust from concrete walls: paint or sealer reccomendation?

"Todd H." wrote in message ...

In my shelving project in the basement and spending more time down
there it's become apparent just how much dust comes off the concrete
walls and floors in the unfinished area of the basement. I think I'd
like to go with a white or off white I think if paint is viable.

I would bet that most of the dust isn't from the concrete but it is from
whereever dust comes from. In other words, everything. The dog, the sawing
you do down there, the kids, the air blowing thru the sill plate area, etc.

Paint will work ok.

Beware the concrete etching stuff. You have to wear gloves working with it,
and since you'd be spreading it on a wall, probably a waterproof smock and
something to cover your face. Steer clear of this; I would use it only on
the floor, and then only if you're going to use concrete paint or stain,
whatever it's called.