Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default open ground reading

In article om, "mgruft" wrote:
I have an old house with mostly k+t wiring and in one room only both duplex
outlets read "open ground" with my tester. All other outlets in the house
read correctly.The only other duplex in another room that is also on this
circuit reads correctly. I believe this circuit runs most of my overhead
lights.

Knob and tube is a two-wire system. No ground wire available = open ground at
the outlet.

When I test with the multimeter I cannot get 120V between hot and the
ground socket either

No big surprise -- the multimeter is simply telling you the same thing the
tester is: there's nothing connected to the ground terminal.

but when I meter continuity between the neutral in
the central light socket and the neutrals in each duplex they show
connectivity so.....

So your neutrals are continuous. No surprise there either: if they weren't,
you would have noticed something not working, before now. What happens when
you check continuity between neutral in the light socket and *ground* at the
receptacles?

--
Regards,