Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default How do I open a Dell AC Adapter?

Hi!

Give the sucker one good *whack*.
(I hate those damn glued-together-brick cases!)

Sometimes even that isn't enough. I had a bad Compaq AC adapter from my old
LTE 5000 laptop. Something inside had been sizzling and finally went bang.
The whole thing smelled pretty bad. I didn't think it would be fixable, as
the wire coming out was already badly frayed and didn't make contact most of
the time anyway. All I wanted to do was open it up to see what had gone
wrong.

I started gently enough with a small mallet. Then I tried a hammer. It went
downhill from there quickly. Even several good whacks on concrete from a
distance wouldn't open the thing. I even tried driving over it, and that
finally got it to start coming open. Of course, by that point, the insides
were not in good shape.

William