Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Allodoxaphobia Allodoxaphobia is offline

Default How do I open a Dell AC Adapter?

On 2 Jan 2007 13:39:30 -0800, wrote:
I always use a gentle cut with a hacksaw when the drop and kick method
doesn't work. I start at one corner and hacksaw thru till I get air.
Then I use a strong screwdriver to pry the rest of the case open.
Sometimes you have to hacksaw partway through the case all the way
around before the screwdriver will pop the case open. It all depends on
how cheap the case is made. You don't have much to lose, just be sure
the power wall wart is unplugged when you do this GG.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

PhattyMo wrote:
wrote:
It doesn't work..
How much should I tap?!

Sorry, thanks.

You need to "tap" it,not tap it..
Give the sucker one good *whack*.
The "diagonal" method has worked for me before..

(I hate those damn glued-together-brick cases!)

I usually soak it for an hour or so in the freezer.
Then I set a pocketknife along the crack of the solvent-glued seam and
tap _that_ with a wee little ballpeen hammer.
Go right 'round the thing 2 or more times.
By then you should have one section of the seam that is willing to
cooperate for you.
And, by then, the case should be a little warmer to permit you to then
use the knife blade as a pry under the now-loosened seam.

HNY
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http//jonz.net/ng.htm