Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Replacing asbestos garage roof

Roly wrote:
We need to pass some pipes through our corrugated asbestos garage
roof, so although for many years we've followed the advice to leave
well alone, it makes sense to now get rid of it and replace it with
something less scary. The Garage has a flat sloping roof and adjoins
the house.

I can find plenty of information about how a DIYer can safely remove
and dsipose of the asbestos sheets, but I'm wondering what would be
best used to replace it ?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Do building regs influence the
choice of materials ? Which materials are most practical ?

Asbestos! - you won't put anything up there that will outlive it...seriously
though, what are the sheets fastened to now? - if it's angle iron, then
plastic isn't rigid enough to cover the same span as rigid asbestos, if it's
timber then you can use plastic sheeting, although being so close to the
house, this could cause unwanted intrusion from roof tiles etc...so I'd say
plywood sheets, bitumen coated, then get a roofer, (or borrow a blowlamp)
and cover the lot with green mineral felt, expect 15 years out of it, any
more is a bonus