Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default timed porch light?

JLagg wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
wrote:
I had a porch light that I bought probably 10 years ago and it finally
went out. It worked great in that it would go out after a delay even
after the light switch was turned off. It was not light sensitive. Kind
of like a garage door light operates. Any idea where I could get
another one like that? I cannot make out what it says on the bulb
anymore either.

Frank

Philips used to make an "IQ Bulb" that had a 15 minute timer in the base;
it screwed into a regular light socket. The light would turn itself off
after 15 minutes. If you wanted it to stay on, you flicked the switch
ON/OFF/ON, and it would blink twice to let you know that it heard you, then
it would stay on indefinitely.

I don't know if they are still made. They didn't cost that much.

Best regards,
Bob

Thats it that is what I had!. Wish I could get another. Guess the
earlier ideas will be the way to go though.

They might still be available as just an adapter disk that goes on the
bottom of a regular lightbulb:

http://web.archive.org/web/200511240...m/bulbboss.htm
(takes a long time to load)

I get a DNS error when I ping www.beacon-light.com, so they may have
gone out of business.

One of the things on my todo list is to pull the chip out of the bottom
of an burned-out IQ bulb and solder leads onto it to experiment.

Best regards,
Bob