Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default HELP please: Replacing Lampholder fixture

avid_hiker wrote:
PawsForThought wrote:
Thanks so much for your reply. What I have is this:

Junction box in ceiling. From that is 1 red wire, 2 white wires that
were twisted together, with a 3rd white wire from the light fixture.
All 3 of these white wires were twisted together and capped. There is
also 2 black wires coming out of that junction box and they're just
twisted together and capped.

This is most likely your problem.....one of these blacks is most likely
to your outlets....and the other to another outlet somewhere you dont
know of that is not working. Blacks to the group of blacks....whites to
group of whites. and red to blacks.

Electrical outlets (4 outlets in 1 unit). This unit has a 2-wire
ground romex cable coming from it into the junction box.

Colors of these wires? More than likely black and white........trace
these....and be sure wires are hooked up white to white.......black to
black..and the red to black

When I removed the old light fixture, the white wire was connection to
the silver screw and the red wire was connected to the brass screw on
the fixture.

This is correct

I know the black and white wires from the electrical outlet unit were
definitely twisted together. But somehow the red wire was maybe in the
mix?

This is definetly WRONG!! The white to the group of whites.....and the
black to the blacks......the red to the group of blacks.

Well, when OP said he was sure of this and also threw a red into the
mix I got to wondering about whether one white was (an unmarked) return
from an unmentioned switch and/or if the red might even be a sign of a
three-way somewhere in the mix...'cause it still seems as though he
would have an "always on" light w/o the chain pull otherwise.

Argh! I think you're right and I'll have to call an electrician. I
know it's probably something simple I'm missing.

This is probably your safest bet.....dont want to read about you in the
morning paper.

Agree as w/o seeing and being able to trace it seems unlikely to
diagnose the actual situation correctly from afar...