Posted to alt.home.repair
Squirrel Squirrel is offline

Default hardwood flooring installation

wrote:
Does hardwood flooring have to be installed horizontally with the
longest (widest) part of a room ? Or can it be installed from the
shortest side of the room (narrowest) and then just worked all the way
down to the end of the room?
Thanks.

The above recommendations are spot on. Real wood should go
perpendicular to the joists - engineered flooring isn't as limited. In
every installation I've seen (included the one I did in my own home) it
was laid perpendicular to the joists.

Another rule of thumb is to lay the boards "Parallel to the light
source and perpendicular to the direction of the light." In other
words, the wall with the greatest amount of windows (or at least the
windows which receive the largest amount of sunlight) is the one you'll
want to lay the boards parallel to, and therefore the run will end up
perpendicular to the incoming light from the windows. This reduces the
appearance of seams.