Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Measuring Electrical Usage

mm wrote:

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 09:12:03 -0500, (---MIKE---)
wrote:

I had a similar thing happen some years ago. It turned out to be my
septic pump was running continuously because of a faulty switch in the

Yes, not electric, but the company I worked for had an enormous phone
bill. I think that might have been what caused them to install
not-cheap software to monitor every extension and see which ones were
calling long distance.

It turned out to be the Coke machine. The coke machine was designed
to call the supplier when it was about to run out of syrup or soda or
cups. But it broke and it called constantly, 24 hours a day, day
after day. I guess the supplier was in the next country or far enough
away for it to be a toll call.

pump tank. Try turning off all your breakers and see if the meter disc
is still turning. If not, turn the breakers back on one at a time to
see which circuit is causing the disc to turn.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

They had to install software to track all the extensions to figure this
out? One look at a detailed bill would show all the calls to a single
number and looking up that number would pretty well isolate it.

Pete C.