Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Default reducing dust from concrete walls: paint or sealer reccomendation?

In my shelving project in the basement and spending more time down
there it's become apparent just how much dust comes off the concrete
walls and floors in the unfinished area of the basement. I think I'd
like to go with a white or off white I think if paint is viable.

The walls in question are poured, clean, dry have been around for
about 15 years if that makes any difference. Water and moisture
hasn't been a problem in this basement. It gets humid in the summer,
but that's about it, nothing a dehumidifier doesn't handle. The
walls are dusty, and i wonder about the best way to get rid of the
dust before painting. Wet old towel dragged across perhaps? Or shop
vac with wide broom head might get it done?

I see Behr has a few products, but I'm curious about experiences and
such. I see Behr recommends of course 2 or 3 other products for prep,
I'm always suspicious there of the real need, or if they're just
selling more product.

BEHR NO. 990 CONCRETE CLEANER & DEGREASER (not sure I need)
BEHR NO. 991 CONCRETE ETCHER & RUST REMOVER. (etching seems
to be suggested by both coating products below)

No. 875 Basement & Masonry Waterproofing Paint
http://www.behr.com/behrx/act/view/p...ofers&catId=17

No. 880 Concrete Bonding Primer
http://www.behr.com/behrx/act/view/p...lty&c atId=22

Any experience with these or similar products? What works well and
is reasonably low odor?

Thanks as always for any shared experience.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/