Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default bearings: different grades & qualities

"tg" wrote in message

"Ignoramus13628" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 18:47:21 -0000, tg wrote:

I have to replace some bearings in a generator I have. I discovered
they are a common size - 6302-2RSH. What I want to know is, do
bearings come in different grades or qualities? Or are they all the
same? I want to replace these bearings with the best I can
get. Thanks for any pointers.

yes, they do come in different grades and qualities. Can you ask the
manufacturer for what they recommend?

I don't trust those girls that answer the phone at the manufacturers. I'd
rather just go for the best I can get - if I can get advice about what's
available. If I ask a local supplier they will only tell me what they've
got, rather than what are the best type.

Define "best". Longest lasting? Smoothest running? For some applications,
the cheapest are the best choice because that's all they need.

Also, assuming you've decided you want eg the longest lasting ones, how far
up the price/performance curve are you actually prepared to go? If the
normal ones are a fiver, are you prepared to pay 100 quid for ones which may
last twice as long?

(and a side question : I know ball bearings come in different qualities - do
the sealed ones have the same range, or are they rather more standardised?)

cheers,
clive