Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default Troubling fuse problem

On 2 Jan 2007 06:17:46 -0800, "
wrote:

dgk wrote:
My house still has fuses. The other day there was no power to the
kitchen, so I went down and started looking at the fuses. One seemed
somewhat burned and the nearby (almost useless) chart indicated that
it was the dishwasher fuse, so I pulled it. That knocked out the light
in the basement room that I was standing in. Nonetheless, I put in a
new fuse, and my light came back on, and my Significant Other called
down to say that I had fixed it.

Sure enough, the power was back on in the kitchen. But how can that
be, when the same fuse controlled the lights in the room I was in, and
those were on with that same bad fuse?

I have no idea what happened.

Thats how it was wired when the dishwasher was installed.

Today it wouldnt pass code, back then it might have been OK or someone
added a dishwasher and tapped power from a convenient place.

Its past time to upgrade to breakers and iunstall some dedicated
circuits for heavy fixed loads

Someone added a dishwasher. I lived down the block from the house I
own now, and remember when several families bought dishwashers
together. It was a big deal. I smeared peanut butter on a plate to see
how it would clean. I must have been 10.