Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Shared Neutral Question

In article , "Old_Boat" wrote:

OK OK your all right. It was just a theoretical question. There are so many
wires in the box now that a couple of more wire nuts would really crowd the
box. Originally crimp connectors with one wire coming out the end of the
crimp connector for the connection was used. Will do it correctly when the
time comes to split the circuit. On another note, I got the idea from all
the wiring in this house that was done using 3 wire w/Ground cable that
carried two 15 amp 115V circuits using the black for one circuit and the red
for the other and the white neutral for both. Don't really like them, but it
has worked for 55 years so I guess it must have been an acceptable way to do
it back then.

Not just "acceptable", and not just "back then" -- that is the right way to do
it, and it always has been.

--
Regards,