Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Schmall Bob Schmall is offline

Default Soon to be Shop FS

Never Enough Money wrote:
"Dob?" as in

A telescope with a Newtonian optical design, that uses a Dobsonian
mount.
Invented by John Dobson, the Dobsonian mount is a relatively
inexpensive
Alt-Az mount, which allows the primary investment in a telescope to be
vested in its optics. Dobsonian mounts have their greatest value at the
two
ends of the spectrum of telescope mounts: they allow beginners to enter
amateur astronomy with less of a financial investment, and also are the
only
affordable mount for amateur astronomers who want a scope with a very
large aperture (say, 14" and larger). Being non-computerized Alt-Az
mounts,
Dobs do not track celestial objects and must be moved by hand to keep
an
object in the field of view of the eyepiece, which can be somewhat
difficult
with a big Dob and a high-power eyepiece especially if the scope is
aimed at
the zenith (tracking can be added to a Dob but this tends to get
expensive).
On the other hand the view of a DSO such as a nebula through a large
Dob
can be breathtaking, which can lead to the expensive amateur
astronomer's
disease called aperture fever.

I'm missing the point. Please elaborate.

I answered this on the back channel, but for the Great Unwashed the key
is that the mounts are made of wood and can be made in your shop using
just hand tools. Or powah tools. The biggest one I know uses a mirror 42
inches in diameter. It can be transported.