Posted to rec.woodworking
the_tool_man the_tool_man is offline

Default Time to re-evaluate router-table routers?

I think there is still a market for all three. For the first timer, or
rare user, screw the router base under the table and be done with it.
For the occasional-to-moderate user, a router with built-in above table
height adjustment is more economical than a lift, but provides faster
adjustment than a fixed-base router. For the heavy user, a dedicated
router lift is typically sturdier and has better precision.

Many of the routers with built-in above table adjustment aren't really
built to withstand daily use. I used a Freud 1700 for less than a year
before it died. It's replacement (under warranty) only lasted a couple
of weeks before the spindle lock broke. Typically, the lift mechanisms
have a lot of backlash, and use plastic parts that distort or break
with heavy use.

I recently got the Milwaukee 5625 and the Woodpecker router plate
specifically because there is an upgrade path if a failure occurs. It
is far superior to the Freud, in terms of rigidity. We'll see how well
it holds up. If the lift mechanism in the router breaks, I'll upgrade
to the Woodpecker router lift made for the 5625 body. So at least I
won't have to re-do my router table again.

Regards,
John.

Never Enough Money wrote:
After several postings to the thread "Triton Router - she no start" I
began to think that we need to re-open the oft discussed topic of
routers. I've posted many times to this news group asking about router
lifts. However, I must confess, I never bought one. Now progress has
delivered routers with built-in above the table adjustments.

So

1. Are router lifts a dying breed? If so we should see prices drop
soon. ;-)
2. What's the new "best under the table router?"
3. It used to be conventional wisdom that a fixed base router under the
table was best, but Fine Woodworking (FWW) just selected the Triton
3.25 HP plunge router as the best of the "new breed" of above the table
adjustment routers. What are the reactions from the rec?
4. I wonder what's in the works from Porter-Cable, Milwaukee, Festool,
etc.?
5. For us old guys that bought routers before all the above the table
adjustment ideas materialized, would it be better to buy one of the new
breed or buy that long lusted for router lift? I hear router lifts
still have superior precsion.....

Cheers!