Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default GFCI centered in a double wide box, is this possible?

On 1 Jan 2007 11:55:19 -0800, wrote:

I only see this for exposed wiring. I want to put it in the wall like
regular not exposed wiring. Presumably I would need some sort of
adapter and the appropriate walplate. Am I missing something or is
this just not done? I really don't want to try to cram a GFCi into a
regular sized box.

You don't really need a double size opening. The hookup you are
probably talking about is a 4 inch square box.

If you are putting a box in an existing wall you need to just get a
deep single gang cut in box.

If it is going to be put in the wall before the sheet rock you can get
a single gang deep switch box.

Any setup you pick will have the same size opening for one device.