jim

Default HF hits and misses, was: A new low in cheap tools?

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

There are a lot of temptations in the HF catalog. Of course, the
particular item may be a bargain in that it's poor quality, but is still
inexpensive for what it is. Best example: the famous 4 1/2" grinder.
Or the item may be just be a POS that's overpriced at any price. Or
anywhere in between.

I've taken the chance and gotten stuff that's all over this
"dimension". Sometimes I knew from what I'd heard here. Most of the
time I wish that I'd heard about it here. So here is what I have to say
about some of the things that I've gotten at HF.

The Bargains (well worth the money):
- the 4 1/2" angle grinder ($12)
- the compact bench bender ($50)
- 6" digital calipers ($20)
- 440/880# electric hoist ($75)
- 1/2" air impact wrench ($20)
- air sheet metal shears ($40)
- 10" carbide circular saw blade ($15)
- nitrile gloves ($7)
- air impact hammer set ($10)
- 40 pc socket set ($2!! - I know, this should be in the POS category,
but it hangs out in the car for when I need to take something apart at
the dump and then it's worth it)
- free shipping ($30, $40, or $50 order, depending on current promotion)

Satisfied, but nothing to gloat about:
- a couple of Pittsburgh socket sets
- 6 & 11" swivel pad vise-grip knockoff's (11" is really useful)
- 15' ratchet tie-down

The POS's:
- air sheet metal nibbler (the "tooth" broke 1st time I used it)
- laser level (divergent beam)
- air line couplers (leak)
- acid brushes (skimpy on bristles)
- membership in the Inside Track Club (I saved enough on the hoist to
pay for this, otherwise it's not worth it)

Well, now that I'm itemized my HF buys, I guess that I've been more
satisfied that I thought I was. Where's that latest catalog?

Hope this helps,
Bob

the 4 1/2 in angle grinder.. for $17 for me at the retail store.. i
looked at the 4 in. one and figured i get the 4 1/2 one for $2. more...
i got the plastic welder.. found out that you needed air supply.. i
have two air compressors, but it would not work on the one i was
planning on using so i brought it back... $29.95... kept the two $3.00
packs of plastic welding rods and used their $5.00 soldering iron on it,
worked great... when doing a replace on a 2001 honda civic
bumper/repair.. the inside styrofoam material broke: looked up in the
honda catalog and it listed for $60(wow, kinda high for a 4 in. by 2 in.
by 24 in. piece of foam).. took the broken part and held in place and
passed the $5.00 soldering iron knife blade between the two pieces and
now it was fixed... got the $7.47 rotorary tool kit with 50 pieces of
access. the rotory tool was crap, but the 60 pieces was well work it to
use on my dremel tool... would have cost about $50. or more for these
pieces if i got them from dremel....
and the $19.95 plug in the cig. lighter impact wrench was a bargain as i
hurt my back and needed this thing so i could get the flat tire off the
car......