Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door extention springs

Brian V wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
ups.com...

Brian V wrote:
,,,

Thanks all, off to pick up a couple 160's, hopefully the right choice.

Probably too late, but I'd still opt for taking them w/ you and getting
them matched unless obviously too weak or too strong previously...

Thats where the problem started. This actually started about a month
ago, thats when one of the springs broke, there was no color code on it, age
unknown, atleast 15yrs. I started at Home Depot, they were useless then
brought it to a place that installs garage doors, they asked me a bunch of
questions, ie what the door was made of, dimmensions etc and they gave me a
couple replacement springs, a couple cables and 2 safety wires that run thru
the springs and said to do them in pairs, just like everything on the web
recomends. I installed them and the door opened on it's own so I assumed I
did something wrong and had to loosend the springs a whole lot just to get
the garage to stay closed. Loosened them so much that when it's open all the
way the open the springs just hang there.
Yesterday I was out cleaning the garage and said let me take a look at
the springs again as it was on my "honey do list". Double checked on the web
that I was doing the cables and everything correctly, I was. All the
websites said springs are based on the weight of the door, so I decided to
weigh it, it came in at 154 (did it a few times to verify, opener and
current springs disconnected). The springs the door place gave me are Green
220's which are the same length but almost twice diameter than of the
original springs, I questioned them on the diameter then and they said thats
how the new ones come for my style door wooden door...explains the magical
automatic opening of the door! Can find anything about different diameters
on the web, but all the sites say to match what you currently have, but do
not say that a 3"Green is ABC pounds and a 1.5" Green is DEF pounds.
Unfortunately the old springs were thrown away a few weeks ago or I
would have waited until tommorow and brought them to another place. Got the
160's now, trying to find the motivation to go out and change them....the
couch is looking way too tempting today on a cold a rainy day here in MA.

-Brian

In this case, so much for the local shop that specializes in garage
doors being better than a scale and Homo Depot.