Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default Clamps - 40"+ sized clamps

On 1 Jan 2007 14:39:11 -0800, "Coltrane"
wrote:

I am looking for clamps that are at least are between 40" and 48".
I am just starting to get into wood working and I am starting with some
cabinets and tables.

There's something here that I think everyone missed. I noticed because
I fell into the trap myself once. If you're just starting (even if you
are doing some tables), you're going to generally run into far more
occasions when you need 24" clamping capacity than 40+". Trust me when
I tell you that even though in concept it sounds good, you will be
VERY unhappy trying to wrestle 40+"ers around a 20" glueup. DAMHIKT.

I have an article on my website on choosing one's first K-Bodies, and
it tells the whole sordid tale of my experience. It applies equally to
most other clamps except pipe, which you can easily change the
capacity of by simply changing the pipe--the sole advantage of them
over K-Bodies, so far as I'm concerned.

Also, for bar type clamps (F style, such as Jorgie 37xxes and
Tradesmans) the Rolls Royce is Wexler.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.