Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Looking for Differential Thermostat

dpb wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
I will be setting up a small fan to
equalize temperature in 2 different
places. This is actually in a church to
keep the temperature of the organ
chamber, close to the temperature of the
church itself. The reason is to keep
organ pipes in the 2 locations, in tune
with each other. I have googled this,
however, I only come up with a few fancy
electronic units. They would probably
work ok. But, I was wondering if anyone
knows of a simple unit that is capable
of switching 110 to the fan. The fan
will be a small, 300 CFM or so unit,
using just a few amps.
Thanks.

More info, please...how far apart the locations you want/need to use as
controls and what is the existing input(s) you have, if any?

The church pipes are mounted right near
the grill where the chamber pipes speak
into the church. The church has it's
own HVAC system with setbacks, etc. The
chamber has no heat, however, when the
organ is off, the shades open. My plan
it to draw church air through the open
shutters into the pipe chamber and deliver
it to the room where the blower is
installed. This way the church air
would be in
the chamber and in the blower room. The
proposed blower/fan will be installed
above the organ blower room, where it
would deliver its air. A duct will go
to the
organ chamber where it will suck causing
church air to enter the open shutters, thus
bringing the chamber temperature closer
to that of the church. This will also keep
the intake air temperature in the blower
room, closer to that of the church.
Are you proposing to simply moving church air as makeup or some other
tempered air source?

Do you have any specification from the organ maker/installer/tuner on
the differential required
to be maintained? Has the installation been modified -- if so, would
seem it would have been their job to make sure of ambient conditions
(just a question so maybe you can throw the onus onto somebody else

I am the installer/builder/organist. I
have monitored this for the 20 years
since installing
the instrument. It is worse now because
of new setback thermostats in the
church. This was something I have
always wanted to do, but never had the
ambition. Now, it is more important
because of the greater temperature
differences.
Have good friend who does organ tunings and retrofits -- give more
detail and if like I'll pass on the question to him and ask for
input...where is this located, just in case it might be close?
Alternative solution would seem to me to be to simply ensure continuous
air circulation through the chamber from the other area, but that makes
assumptions about what you're actually moving w/ the fan in your
suggested solution.