Posted to alt.home.repair
chuckster chuckster is offline

Default 3 way wall switch

Way too many ways a 3 way can be wired. Basically the feed (hot wire)
goes to the point (dark screw) on the switch and the feed to the light
goes to the point on the other switch.
Damn! I should open a "Phone Consulation" business for things like
this, because I can solve this problem over the phone, for a 50% of a
service call.

wrote:
Can anyone help me make sense of a 3 way wall switch controling a
ceiling fixture?? The power is through the switch.

Right now I have the switches connected and the light works, but
something is wrong. When I toggle one switch on and then try the
other, the light functions properly, but then if I toggle the switch
again, the lights will not go on. I must have something crossed, but
for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Any insight or wisdom would be appreciated. I know, I know........
call an electrician.

Thanks

NJwindsurfer