Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Garage Door Retrofit For Safety?

wrote:
I recently bought a new home with garage door openers. They function
properly, and they have an "automatic reverse" if they bump something.
I'd like to retrofit them with an "Electric Eye" so they if something
or someone passes inderneath them. I'd also like to adjust the reverse
function so that they will reverse on a softer bump than they currently
do.

Is this possible?

Maybe, and probably...

If the opener didn't come w/ safety optical sensors, you would have to
figure out how to rig a set of sensors up to make them work. How
difficult that would be would depend on whether there is logic that
wasn't used or whether it is a unit that has no provision. Would need
at a minimum the sensors and logic to cause the reversing contacts to
close on signal.

For the adjustment, that depends on the unit. Virtually all had both a
reversing-position adjustment and a tension adjustment. You may be
able to find an instruction manual online or look at the unit and see
if you can discern the adjustments available. It has to have one for
position, both up and down, so if there are others beyond that, good
chance one of them is tension. Some units had tension spring clutches
that were adjusted by a nut on a threaded shaft on the drive shaft or
similar arrangement.