Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian V Brian V is offline

Default Garage door extention springs

wrote in message
oups.com...

professorpaul wrote:
When I broke one a couple of years ago, I simply took the broken one to
a local garage door outfit. They looked at it, and simply gave me the
right spring. DO be careful, as those suckers are under a LOT of
tension!

I'd go to the next larger spring. I had similar problem and weighed
the door. I wound up having to go 2 sizes up to get it balanced
correctly. Also, the old spring was a lot larger diameter than the
ones available today at the home centers. Not sure what quality/kind
of spring you'd find today at a garage door company vs HD.

Also, make sure you use safety cables. They were not common in older
doors. The new springs will come with them. And replace in sets.

Thanks all, off to pick up a couple 160's, hopefully the right choice.

-Brian