Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Rich is offline

Default Rehashing a kitchen sink issue

Thanks Jim for the response.

The house was built in 1926 and the pvc under the sink attaches to a
cast iron pipe that goes vertically into the floor. I can't remember
the name, but the 1 1/4" pvc is connected to a 2" pvc by a rubber
conversion piece and then the pvc is attached to the cast iron.

The one interesting thing is that after I augered and drain-oed, the
drain ran ok, not great, but ok for a few days. I was very careful
about what was rinsed in the sink, and today it barely drains. I plan
on installing the 1 1/2" pipes and the vent later in the week, though.
I'll let you know...

Rich

Speedy Jim wrote:
Rich wrote:
Hi all,

Problem: My kitchen sink drain VERY slowly...it has taken about 5
minutes to drain fully sometimes. My home inspector informed me that I
have unvented 's' traps in the kitchen and bathroom. I have one main
roof vent, which is too small according to the inspector, and the
bathroom plumbing and kitchen plumbing are on opposite sides of the
house.

Here's what I have tried:
1. Drain-o, industrial strength gel, commercial liquid "green"
2. Removed the pvc pipes and augered the drain from the kitchen 25ft.
and very little was removed.
3. Used a garden hose and "jet blasted" the kitchen drain pipe to try a
pressure cleanout.

My kitchen piping is 1 1/4" pvc with a dishwasher.

I considered the following:
1. calling a plumber (I know it sounds funny, but I want to use this as
my LAST option)
2. removing the pvc drains, and replacing it with 1 1/2" pvc pipe AND
an Oatley Autovent.
3. Reaugering from the kitchen and the basement in both directions.

Does anyone have opinions/suggestions. I know I posted something
similar before about this issue, but I've tried a few things since
then...

Thanks for the help.

1 1\4" drain ?? Hmmmmm

OK. Put the Oatey Autovent in and see what happens.
Report back.

When was house built? Is the drain PVC all the way...

Jim