Posted to uk.d-i-y
tg tg is offline

Default req advice: removal of shaft from casing (stubborn)

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message ...

Put the unit in the freezer for long enough to get it down to -20 C. Make up some hardish wood blocks with a V cut in across the
grain to better grip the shaft. Tighten the vice up on the shaft and pour boiling water over the casing to expand it, avoiding
heating up the shaft.

The casing will expand faster than the shaft, perhaps making it easier to extract it without damage. An engineer would use dry
ice instead of a freezer.

thanks for your response Harry, I tried what you said but this 'f**king thing just will not budge. I froze it overnight, put it in
the vice, poured boiling water on the casing and then tried to bash it off as per the manual's instructions. Wouldn't budge. Not
one f**king millimeter. I will only hit something so hard and then I draw the line - don't want to break the casing. So after much
deep thinking I'm now off down the road to a whizz metalworker bloke I know and see if he can make me a puller tool. I would have
gone for this option earlier but everywhere is shut down over Xmas and the New Year.