Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

Default Repointing - Tool

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
51 wrote:

(Posted this early today but news server is not releasing it)

Hi all.
I will need to rake out the old mortar on my back yard walls.
What is the best power tool solution for this kind of job?

I think I also saw some kind of masonry router bit but can't remember
where.

Thanks.

Arthur.

And wishing everyone a 'splinterless' new year.

Screwfix do a mortar rake bit like this
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...7982&ts=72811# which fits
onto an angle grinder. Is this the sort of thing you had in mind?
--

Thanks.

Its an effective looking tool but I'm not keen on using an angle grinder in
such a manner
for about 10 -12 sq metres of wall.

I did a search for 'Mortar rake' and found that there are other methods out
there.
Axminster have some from Armeg.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...Rake-22130.htm
The mortar rake on this page looks like it would be used with the hammer
action only.

The other tools lower on the page look useful to me as there are some bricks
that are badly damaged.

Screwfix also sell this which seems a more usable tool.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...18 3&ts=79463

Arthur